February 26, 1836, two hundred Alamo defenders shivered behind the walls of
the compound as the morning wind howled across the San Antonio River.
Firewood and water supplies were in short supply on this third day of the siege.The water well inside the old mission was not sufficient for the sudden needs of the Texas Army and their horses. A small party of men ventured out to gather firewood and bring water from a nearby acequia.
Santa Anna’s troops fired on the Alamo defenders as they scurried about grabbing
dead mesquite wood on the ground, others carrying wooden buckets of water.
Cannon fire diverted the Mexican marksmen’s attention, but future such
excursions outside the walls would be made under the cover of darkness.
Note to today’s reader: At the siege of Mission San Antonio de Valero, the Alamo
looked much different than today, as only the chapel and the long barracks still
exist. To appreciate the size of this complex, which was large enough to have
livestock, horses and grow winter vegetables. The picture above depicts what the
1836 Alamo looked like.