Dr. Joseph William Robertson
Dr. Robertson, a First Footer of the new town of Austin, arrived in the fall of 1839. He represented Bastrop County in the fourth session of Congress 1839-1840. It was the first session ever convened in Austin. Robertson liked Austin and moved his family to the Capital City in 1841. He established a pharmacy and medical practice on Congress Avenue. He previously served as a Texas Ranger and later fifth mayor of Austin. When there was a battle, the good doctor grabbed his guns and medicine bag and
joined the fracas. In 1848, Robertson bought the French Legation building for his large family. It became known as Robertson Hill. Today it is the French Legation Museum run by the Daughter’s of the Republic of Texas.
#drjosephwilliamrobertson #firstfooter #austintexas #bastropcounty #congressavenue #texasranger
#mayorofaustintexas #frenchlegation #robertsonhill #frenchlegalmuseum
#daughtersoftherepublicoftexas #davidabowlesauthorandstoryteller #texashistory