top of page

Austin’s First Federal Buildings


In the spring of 1839, lumber for the first permanent Capitol of Texas had been cut and hauled from Bastrop to the building site at West 8th and Colorado. The stockade fence and moat extended towards Congress Avenue. President Lamar selected the site for the Capitol of the Republic of Texas during a hunting trip the previous year.

The drawings, courtesy of Austin History Center, were drawn from memory years after the Capitol was demolished. The hastily built structure was started in the spring and ready for the fourth congress to convene November 11, 1839.

After congress adjourned in February of 1840, the citizens of Austin used it to fort

up in frequent Indian attacks and for church services. It was here that Anson

Jones the last President of the Republic of Texas lowered the Lone Star Flag on

February 19, 1846. He handed it to the first Governor of Texas and said, “The

Republic is no more!”

Governor James Pickney Henderson raised the U.S. Flag and at that moment

Texas became the 28 th  state. The Lone Star Flag was raised under the American

Flag and would become the state flag of the Great State of Texas.

12 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Louis Franke - 1818-1873

German born Louis Franke arrived in Texas in 1845. He came with a master’s degree in law from the University of Jena. Franke volunteered to be a Texas Ranger in the Mexican War. When Franke heard abou

Comentarios


bottom of page